Putin says outside forces using radical Islam to `weaken Russia`
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday accused foreign "forces" of using radical Islam to sow discord in Russia, after a Muslim suicide bomber killed six on a bus in southern Russia.
"Some political forces are using Islam or more precisely its radical strains...To weaken our state, to create in Russia zones of `ethnic conflict ruled from outside,` to drive a wedge between different ethnic groups, inside the Muslim community, to inflame separatist sentiments in provinces," Putin said, without providing specifics.
Speaking at a meeting with Muslim clerics in the city of Ufa, some 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow, he said tension between the West and the Islamic world was on the rise.
"Someone is trying to use this issue to one`s advantage, add logs to this fire," Putin said. "I would like to tell you: we are not interested in this."
A 30-year-old woman from the volatile Russian North Caucasus region of Dagestan yesterday blew herself up on a bus in the southern city of Volgograd, killing six and injuring more than 30.
During his decade in power, Putin has repeatedly vowed to root out insurgency in the Caucasus, where the Kremlin fought two wars against separatists in Chechnya over the past 20 years, although the unrest shows little sign of abating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information