Putin signs bill banning US adoption of Russian kids
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin Friday signed into law a controversial bill that imposes a ban on adoption of Russian children by Americans and other retaliatory measures targeting the US.
Despite protests from liberal-minded bloggers and civic groups, as well as some top officials in the Russian government, the ban on American adoptions will come into force Jan 1, 2013.
The ban is part of Russia`s tit-for-tat response to the US`s Magnitsky Act, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama earlier this month. The act introduces sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses and is named after Sergei Magnitsky, a whistle-blowing lawyer who died in a Moscow pre-trial detention centre in 2009.
The adoption ban is the most debated aspect of the proposed legislation, which also sets a visa ban on alleged US abusers of Russian citizens` rights and freezes any assets they may have in Russia, bans political NGOs that receive US funding and bars US citizens from working for politically active NGOs in Russia.
The legislation would also bar Russian organisations from facilitating adoptions by US citizens.
Putin`s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the list of banned officials has been drafted already, but would not be published.
"I have not seen any reason why I should not sign it, although I have to consider the final version and think everything over," Putin said Thursday.
Critics of the bill have insisted that the measure is politically motivated and would strand thousands of children, especially those with disabilities, in Russia`s dilapidated orphanage system.
Since 1999, families in the US have adopted more than 45,000 Russian children, including 962 last year, according to the US State Department. Russian officials claim at least 19 Russian children adopted by Americans have died in that period.
The law will halt the adoption of 46 Russian children by US families whose cases are currently being processed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?