Putin slams West over Syria
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday criticised Western countries again over their conduct in connection with the civil war in Syria.
"The main thing is that our partners cannot stop. Having already created an atmosphere of chaos in many countries, they are now continuing that policy in others, in particular Syria," Putin said at a meeting in his residence outside Moscow with a delegation of residents from Ryazan region.
Putin said his position on the Middle East is "to facilitate a change for the better in those countries, but not impose, particularly by force, what we think is right, and stir up internal events".
"We have warned of the need to tread carefully, not impose any force, which leads to chaos. And what do we see now? A situation much like chaos," he said, adding that Russia has never forced its will on any other country.
Citing the historical example of the Roman empire`s invasion of Carthage, he said it would be "very unfortunate" if a similar scenario were to be repeated today.
"In my view, something like this is already happening, when strong nations are trying to impose their own rules of conduct and moral codes on weaker states," without properly considering the historical and social contexts, Putin said.
He added that Russia has enjoyed an advantage over other countries because it was multi-ethnic and multi-faith state.
"Our leading religion, Orthodox Christianity, has always been tolerant toward other faiths," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY