Putin speaks out on Syria settlement plan
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin Monday articulated his plan for a peaceful settlement to the civil conflict in Syria.
"We believe that the course of action should be as follows -- ending violence, conducting negotiations, searching for a solution, laying down a constitutional basis for the future society, and only then introducing structural changes, not vice versa," Putin said.
"The other way around there would only be chaos," the president said at a meeting with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti.
If incumbent President Bashar al-Assad is removed from power unconstitutionally, the civil war in the country would be "endless", Putin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Tanmay Bhat jokes about Priyanka Chopra’s accent – Here’s her response and it’s cool!
- Kylie Jenner is broke?
- IndiGo flight hits turbulence due to slogans hailing ISIS – Find shocking details here
- Facebook video row: 'Made no mistake,' says Bhagwant Mann in 5-page letter to parliamentary panel
- 'Lights Out' sequel in works