Putin speaks out on Syria settlement plan
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin Monday articulated his plan for a peaceful settlement to the civil conflict in Syria.
"We believe that the course of action should be as follows -- ending violence, conducting negotiations, searching for a solution, laying down a constitutional basis for the future society, and only then introducing structural changes, not vice versa," Putin said.
"The other way around there would only be chaos," the president said at a meeting with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti.
If incumbent President Bashar al-Assad is removed from power unconstitutionally, the civil war in the country would be "endless", Putin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday