Putin tells Obama Russia has `right` to protect interests
Moscow: Russia has the right to "protect its interests and Russian-speaking populations" in Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin has told his US counterpart Barack Obama.
Putin told Obama there was a "real threat weighing on the lives and the health of Russian citizens" in Ukraine, according to a Kremlin statement.
The Russian president accused the new government in Kiev of supporting "criminal actions by ultranationalists", the Kremlin said.
The two leaders spoke yesterday by telephone after Russia`s parliament authorised military action in Ukraine in a dramatic escalation of tensions.
The Kremlin statement said the conversation was instigated by the US side and focused on the "extraordinary situation in Kiev".
It came after Obama`s national security team met yesterday to weigh policy options as Washington tried to keep pace with the fast escalating crisis in Ukraine and Crimea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’