Putin to meet Turkey PM Erdogan over Syria
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin will be meeting Turkey Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Istanbul on Monday to discuss the Syrian crisis.
The meeting between the two leaders is significant as Russia is known for its proximity to Syria, while Turkey is backing the rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
Last week, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that resolving world problems by force, as the US is trying to do, does not work.
Israeli President Shimon Peres last month said Russia can stop the bloodshed in Syria and bring peace to the Middle East.
“I believe Russia and you have an important role: you can stop the bloodshed in Syria and bring peace and security not only to Syria but also to the Middle East," he said.
The West is pushing for President Bashar Al Assad`s ouster while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria. They maintain that the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
Veto-wielding Moscow and Beijing have thrice blocked sanctions resolutions on Syria.
Anti-government rebels have been locked in a protracted civil war with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime. According to the UN, nearly 40,000 have died since the fighting began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31