Putin tops Foreign Policy list of most powerful people
Moscow: Leading US magazine Foreign Policy has named Putin as the most powerful person in the world, but at the second place with the top spot left empty.
Author Ian Bremmer explains why no one was ranked first as being because "in a G-Zero world, everyone is waiting for someone else to shoulder responsibility for the world`s toughest and most dangerous challenges".
He based the ranking on "a quick, informal survey around Eurasia Group on power and global politics".
The Russian President is followed by US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke, who is ranked third, German Chancellor Angela Merkel at fourth place and US President Barack Obama in fifth place.
Then come European Central Bank head Mario Draghi (6), Chinese Communist Party Secretary General Xi Jinping (7), Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (8), International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde (also 8) and Saudi King Abdullah Bin Abd al-Aziz (10).
"The leaders you`ll see named further down this list are preoccupied with local and regional problems and don`t have the interest and leverage needed to take on a growing list of transnational problems," the author wrote.
After the top spot`s empty chair, Putin comes in second.
"In Russia`s personalised system, this is still the person who counts. He isn`t as popular as he used to be, and his country has no Soviet-scale clout or influence, but no one on the planet has consolidated more domestic and regional power than Putin," the magazine said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'