Putin unveils peace plan for Ukraine, hopes for deal Friday
Moscow: President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday unveiled a seven-point plan for peace in Ukraine which he said could be approved by rival sides in the conflict during talks scheduled for Friday.
"In order to halt bloodletting and stabilise the situation in southeastern Ukraine" Putin called on both Kiev and pro-Russian separatists to quickly agree to implement his roadmap.
The first point is a "halt to active offensive operations by military forces and armed rebel units" around the rebel strongholds of Donetsk and Lugansk, Putin said in televised comments during a visit to the Mongolian capital Ulan-Bator.
The roadmap also calls for a withdrawal by Ukrainian forces to positions from which they cannot shell cities, and a halt to airstrikes by Kiev's military.
The blueprint also calls for deploying international observers to monitor a ceasefire, the unconditional release of all prisoners, the establishment of corridors for refugees and humanitarian aid, and the dispatch of aid to rebuild infrastructure in Donetsk and Lugansk, which have been the brunt of intense fighting.
"I believe that a final agreement between the authorities of Kiev and southeastern Ukraine can be reached and cemented during a meeting of the Contact Group on September 5," said Putin.
The Ukraine Contact Group, which includes representatives of Kiev, the separatist rebels, Moscow and the OSCE is scheduled to meet on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi