Putin voices `disgust` at Gaddafi coverage
Moscow: Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin expressed his "disgust" at the global media on Wednesday for its graphic coverage of ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi`s death.
The overwhelming favourite in next year`s Russian Presidential Elections told an election campaign meeting that he found the TV coverage immoral and blamed journalists for failing a basic ethics test.
"Almost the entire Gaddafi family was killed. His body was shown on all the world channels. You could not watch without disgust," news agencies quoted Putin as saying.
"What is that?" Putin exclaimed. "They show a bloodied man, wounded, still alive but getting beaten to death. And they splash that all over the screen."
Global disquiet has grown over how Gaddafi met his end at the hands of National Transitional Coalition fighters who hauled him out of a culvert where he was hiding following NATO air strike.
Mobile phone videos show him still alive at that point.
Russia had earlier condemned NATO for using its jets to attack the convoy Gaddafi was using to try and break through NTC troops that surrounded his hometown of Sirte on October 20.
But Putin had remained conspicuously silent over the death of a man Moscow had viewed until the start of the war as an ally who purchased Russian weaponry and provided access to his country`s lucrative oil fields.
Russia`s former spy and president between 2000 and 2008 notably avoided placing blame on the fighters for killing Gaddafi or on NATO for conducting its air strike.
"That is a separate subject," Putin noted. He directed his anger instead on the media and appeared to encourage Russian media outlets -- which used the same video grabs made available worldwide -- to practice better self-censorship.
"There are millions of people watching, including children. And this is not some kind of animation. This is not fiction. These pictures are of real life," said Putin.
"People within the (journalistic) community should understand what they are doing better and bear some sort of moral responsibility," said Putin.
Russia television has for most of the post-Soviet era been filled with gory images ranging from close-ups of rebels killed in the North Caucasus to the bodies of people who died in regular road accidents.
That uncensored footage was especially popular in the 1990s but continued on for most of the past decade without the usual editing that accompanies such scenes on Western TV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!