Qaeda bomber kills Yemeni Army commander
Aden: A suicide bomber killed an Army general of Yemen on Monday, according to the security officials.
The Army general was leading a fight against al Qaeda militant group in southern Yemen, the officials said further.
The officials say Army Gen Salem Ali al-Quton was killed while on his way to work.
The Yemen-based al Qaeda branch has claimed responsibility for the killing.
The suicide bombing was in revenge for the US-led army offensive against the al Qaeda bastions in neighboring southern province of Abyan and the intensified air strikes on senior members of the terrorist group, the al Qaeda spokesperson told Xinhua in an exclusive phone interview.
Al-Quton was appointed in April as the commander of the army in the south. The military there scored a series of battlefield victories last week against al Qaeda, driving militants out of the cities of Zinjibar and Jaar in Abyan province.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender