Qaeda commander plotted 7/7-style attack on NY subway
London: An Al Qaeda commander is said to have made an attempt to replicate a July 07, 2005 type attack on the New York subway system.
According to The Telegraph, Rashid Rauf allegedly told three Americans to attack targets in the United States in a similar manner as was done on the London underground almost five years ago.
Rauf`s role in the New York plot emerged as Zarein Ahmedzay, a 25-year-old former New York taxi driver, pleaded guilty to charges including conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.
It is claimed they had bought the ingredients to make similar explosives as those used in the July 07 2005 bombings, which killed 52 people on three tube trains and a bus in London.
In court, Ahmedzay said he travelled to Pakistan with two other former school friends from Queen`s, New York, Najibullah Zazi and Adis Medunjanin in the summer of 2008.
At the camp in the lawless region of North Waziristan, Ahmedzay said the three men offered to join the Taliban and fight US forces in Afghanistan, but were told they would be "more useful if we returned to New York City... to conduct operations."
Asked by the judge what kind of operations, he said: "Suicide-bombing operations”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter