Qaeda-linked group claims deadly Tajikistan attack: Report
Dushanbe: An al Qaeda-linked Islamist
militant group claimed responsibility on Thursday for a deadly
ambush on a military convoy in Tajikistan last week in which
at least 28 soldiers were killed.
A spokesman for the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU)
said the attack was revenge for Dushanbe`s cooperation with
NATO forces fighting in neighbouring Afghanistan, in a video
sent to Radio Ozodi, the Tajik-language service of Radio
"The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan took responsibility
for the attack on the ministry of defence convoy that occurred
last week, during which 25 soldiers were killed," Radio Ozodi
said after reviewing the video.
Tajikistan`s defence ministry said the official death
toll from the attack, which had previously been put at 25, had
climbed to 28 after three soldiers died from their wounds
Tajikistan, a majority-Muslim country and the poorest
state to emerge from the collapse of the Soviet Union nearly
two decades ago, has suffered a string of attacks recently
that the government blames on Islamist militants.
The country`s deadliest attack this year occurred Sunday
when insurgents ambushed a military convoy in the mountainous
Rasht Valley region some 250 kilometres (150 miles) east of
the capital Dushanbe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- AAP's protest march to 7 RCR: Detained Delhi Dy CM Sisodia, 52 MLAs released by police
- 'Time to focus on cyber threats to aviation sector in India'
- Alien or rock formation? UFO hunters claim extraterrestrial presence on Mars! - See pic
- Government plans new category visa to attract foreigners, boost trade
- Mann Ki Baat: Declare undisclosed income, assets voluntarily by Sept 30, it is last chance, says PM Modi