Qaeda-linked terrorists were on board aid flotilla: Israeli diplomat
Jerusalem: A top Israeli diplomat has claimed that there were dozens of terrorists mixed in with peace activists on the flotilla his country`s Navy boarded last month.
"They were associated with al Qaeda and other terror organizations," CNN quoted Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Daniel Ayalon as saying in a pre-taped interview airing on Sunday.
"They are graduates of Afghanistan or - or Iraq. They had a hierarchy," Ayalon added.
"They were arranged in a military-type or paramilitary organisations. They were well equipped. And they were ambushing our soldiers. They occupied the higher deck - the top deck - to wait for soldiers," he said.
Ayalon`s comments mark one of the harshest descriptions of the individuals targeted by Israel`s raid of the Turkish ship on May 31, when nine people were killed.
The flotilla was one of six ships carrying peace activists and aid supplies to Gaza.
The boats carried hundreds of people, including a US film producer, an Irish Nobel Peace Prize winner and a Swedish author.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!