Qaeda moving from Iraq to Syria: PM
Riyadh: Al-Qaeda is moving from Iraq to
Syria, where the government is carrying out a bloody crackdown
on an uprising, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said in an
interview published on Saturday.
"Al-Qaeda has started migrating from Iraq to Syria, and
maybe it will migrate from Syria to another country, to Libya
or to Egypt or to any region where the regime is unstable and
out of control," Maliki said in an interview with Saudi daily
"Yesterday, Syria was considering itself outside the
circle of the terrorism problem, and today, it is in the heart
of the terrorism problem," Maliki said.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has been carrying out a
bloody crackdown on an uprising against his rule since March
2011, in which more than 7,500 people have died, according to
Iraq`s deputy interior minister told last month that
jihadists were moving from Iraq to Syria and arms were being
smuggled across the border to opponents of Assad`s regime, but
Maliki`s remarks are the first time an Iraqi official has said
specifically that Al-Qaeda is moving from Iraq to Syria.
Al-Qaeda`s front organisation here, the Islamic State of
Iraq, has waged a bloody campaign of attacks that has spanned
years, especially targeting members of Iraq`s Shiite majority
and security forces.
Excerpts of the interview were released by Maliki`s
office on Tuesday, including one in which he said that "Iraq
backs change in Syria."
"Change is necessary. The situation will not be stable
Maliki did not elaborate on what kind of change he wished
to see, but said Syrians "must receive more freedom, and form
a national unity government as a first step, and free
elections should be held under Arab and UN supervision."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?