Qaeda `postman` dispatched Iraq chiefs to deaths: Probe
Baghdad: An Al-Qaeda messenger
unwittingly dispatched two top Islamist commanders to their
deaths this month, when a US-backed force tracked him to their
den and killed them, investigators said on Thursday.
Abu Omar al-Baghdadi and Abu Ayub al-Masri, who had
direct links with Osama bin Laden, were killed in a shootout
when a joint Iraqi-US force raided their safehouse north of
Baghdad on April 18.
Baghdadi was the political leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq
(AQI) while Masri, an Egyptian militant, was the insurgent
group`s self-styled "minister of war."
The pair, according to investigators, did not use cell
phones or the Internet but relied on their own postman who
relayed messages between them and other insurgents.
Once a week the man, whose identity was not revealed,
sat in a Baghdad cafe where he discreetly made contact with
insurgents, delivering messages from Baghdadi and receiving
others for the top Al-Qaeda operative.
Iraqi officials learned of the messenger`s existence
on March 11 when security forces captured Munaf Abdul Rahim
al-Rawi, the Al-Qaeda chief in the Iraqi capital who was known
as the "governor of Baghdad."
Officials say that Rawi, a low-level industry ministry
employee, planned the bombings of government ministries and
hotels in the capital that have killed hundreds and wounded
thousands of people since August last year.
"During his interrogation, Rawi admitted that he
received his orders from one of Baghdadi`s messengers," an
officer who took part in the deadly raid against Al-Qaeda told
Rawi told investigators that "he met the messenger
once a week in a Baghdad cafe, where the man would sit for an
hour before leaving."
The information was immediately shared with US forces
who sent American drones into action to capture images and
identify the messenger and his contacts.
Rawi was confronted with the pictures taken by the
pilotless planes and confirmed that the man they showed was
On April 18, another drone hovered over Baghdad
tracking down the messenger`s every move.
The drone followed the courier as he boarded a van
loaded with vegetables heading south for the Lake Tharthar
region where the Qaeda commanders were holed up, the officer
said. "At that point we gave the signal for the raid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow