‘Qaeda suicide bombers carrying explosives in stomach’
London: Al Qaeda has developed new explosive devices that enable suicide bombers carry them hidden in stomach to breach airline security measures, media reported on Sunday.
An al Qaeda militant passed through several airline security checks with a bomb hidden in his intestine and made an abortive bid to assassinate a prominent Saudi prince, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
"While not wanting to be alarmist, I admit this is alarming," Richard Barrett, head of the United Nations’ al Qaeda and Taliban monitoring group was quoted as saying.
"Even though its capability is reduced, it is clear that al Qaeda remains determined enough and inventive enough to cause another terrorist spectacular."
Addressing the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Barrett said the organisation`s power to sow terror was far from eliminated, and described how its use of a well-known drug smugglers` technique had already breached airline security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II