‘Qaeda suicide bombers carrying explosives in stomach’
London: Al Qaeda has developed new explosive devices that enable suicide bombers carry them hidden in stomach to breach airline security measures, media reported on Sunday.
An al Qaeda militant passed through several airline security checks with a bomb hidden in his intestine and made an abortive bid to assassinate a prominent Saudi prince, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
"While not wanting to be alarmist, I admit this is alarming," Richard Barrett, head of the United Nations’ al Qaeda and Taliban monitoring group was quoted as saying.
"Even though its capability is reduced, it is clear that al Qaeda remains determined enough and inventive enough to cause another terrorist spectacular."
Addressing the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Barrett said the organisation`s power to sow terror was far from eliminated, and described how its use of a well-known drug smugglers` technique had already breached airline security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell