Qaeda`s N-Africa wing calls for revenge against France
Dubai: Al-Qaeda`s north Africa branch called
for revenge against France and labelled its President Nicolas
Sarkozy an "enemy of God" over a deadly raid last month, in an
online message seen by AFP today.
"To the enemy of Allah (God) Sarkozy I say: You have
missed your opportunity and opened the gates of trouble on
your country," Abu Anas al-Shanqiti, a leader of Al-Qaeda in
the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), said in a statement posted on
Six AQIM members were killed in a failed
Mauritanian-French raid in Mali on July 22 that aimed to
rescue French hostage Michel Germaneau.
Germaneau was not freed in the raid, and AQIM said it
executed the 78-year-old on July 24 in revenge for the deaths
of its members.
Shanqiti called on tribesmen whose relatives were killed
in the raid to "retaliate (against) the apostate traitors, the
sons and agents of Christian France."
On August 2, jailed AQIM leader El Khadim Ould Semane
also threatened France and Mauritania with retaliation.
"I say to the infidels and French Crusaders... (we) will
not rest until French blood has been spilled," Semane had
AQIM has insisted it negotiated with France over
Germaneau`s release, and that its demands were clear.
"The organisation was in constant contact (with France)
through intermediaries," AQIM was quoted as saying in an
August 5 statement by SITE Intelligence, a US organisation
that monitors jihadist websites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth