Qantas plane turns back after cabin smoke
Sydney: Australian airline Qantas said a Perth-bound plane returned to Adelaide on Saturday after smoke entered the cabin from a malfunctioning oven.
The Boeing 737 carrying 124 people turned back in line with the airline`s safety policy, a Qantas spokeswoman said.
"It was just smoke coming from the oven," she said.
"The crew turned the oven off but we took the plane back to Adelaide."
The incident came just days after a cockpit fire caused by an electrical fault forced a Qantas Airbus A330-200 bound for Manila from Sydney to make an unscheduled landing.
In that instance, the pilots used an extinguisher to douse the fire and diverted to the nearest airport -- Cairns, in tropical north Queensland -- where they landed safely.
Qantas has endured a dramatic few months. Last November, it temporarily suspended flights of its Airbus A380 superjumbos after an engine on one exploded after taking off from Singapore, damaging the plane.
Then in January, a flight bound for New York made an unscheduled stop in Fiji after the Boeing 747 developed a problem with a fuel valve supplying one of its engines.
Soon after, another Boeing 747 suffered mid-air mechanical trouble after taking off from Bangkok and was forced to return to the Thai capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM