Qatar rejects Egypt dominance claims as `silly jokes`
Manama: Qatar`s Prime Minister Shaikh Hamad Bin Jassem Al Thani has dismissed claims that his country was seeking to dominate Egypt`s politics and economy as "silly jokes”.
Qatar announced that it would double its financial aid to Egypt to a total of USD five billion in grants and bank deposits.
Addressing a press conference in Cairo after the announcement, Al Thani said that his country respected all countries, regardless of their size, and did not interfere in their domestic affairs.
According to Gulf News, Al Thani said he `considers the comments about a Qatari dominance of Egypt as a joke, but it is a silly one because Egypt with its great human and economic assets and potentials cannot be dominated by any other country.`
He added that Qatar wants to see an economically and politically strong and stable Egypt.
According to the report, Shaikh Hamad, the Qatar`s foreign minister, also said that the issue of an alleged Qatari dominance was a politically motivated domestic matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference