Qatar ruler urged to press Hamas for reconciliation
Ramallah: The Palestinian leadership Monday welcomed the upcoming visit of Qatar`s Emir, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani to the Gaza Strip, urging him to push its Hamas rulers to national Palestinian reconciliation.
Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said that the leadership "highly praises" the visit, but considering it "a humanitarian step" that has no political impact, reported Xinhua.
The Emir is likely to visit Gaza Tuesday to inaugurate a massive, Qatari-funded reconstruction project. He will be the first head of a state to visit Gaza and meet officials from Hamas, which wrested control of Gaza from forces loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in 2007.
Erekat hopes that the Qatari leader will press Hamas to respect the reconciliation agreement which was signed between Hamas and Abbas`s Fatah party in Doha in February.
The agreement envisaged a transitional unity government headed by Abbas to prepare and conduct parliamentary and presidential elections in a year. Abbas refused to go ahead with the deal, citing Hamas`s refusal to allow Central Elections Commission (CEC) from working in Gaza.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?