Qatar set to chair UN General Assembly
Dubai: Qatar`s permanent representative
to the United Nations, Nasr Abdulaziz al-Nasser, is set to head the 66th session of the General Assembly after being endorsed by the group of Asian member countries.
Al Nasser said he would be elected officially in
mid-June as the president of the 66th session of the General
Assembly and will officially assume his year-long position on
He also expressed hope that Qatar would be able to
contribute even more on the global scale during his
Al Nasser was pitted against the current adviser of
Nepal`s prime minister, but won a secret vote held by the
Group of Asian State Members.
"The 66th session is one of the most defining in the
United Nations` history and has a number of complicated issues
on the agenda, with disarmament being the foremost," he was
quoted as saying by the Qatar News Agency.
QNA said the endorsement of Nasr Abdul Aziz Al Nasser
was a testimony to the "growing stature of Qatar in the world
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch