Quake hits Papua New Guinea: Geologists
Sydney: A quake of at least 6.0 magnitude
struck Papua New Guinea today, the US Geological Survey and Australian seismologists said, but no tsunami warning was immediately issued.
The USGS said the quake hit the New Britain region at
around 14:30 hrs at a depth of 73 kms, 430 kms north-northeast
of the capital Port Moresby.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre, based in Hawaii,
which monitors violent ocean movements generated by quakes,
issued no warning and no alert.
Australian seismologists put the deep coastal tremor
at magnitude 6.1, but said that it was unlikely to cause
significant numbers of injuries or major damage in the
sparsely populated region.
"There`s no threat of tsunami," Geoscience Australia
seismologist Clive Collins told AFP, adding that the nearest
town to the quake site, Kandrian, was about 70 kms away.
"There might be some local village (affected) --
people in the immediate vicinity would have felt it," he said of the tremor which had its epicentre on the coast and would have mostly affected nearby shallow waters.
Papua New Guinea, which is mired in poverty despite
rich mineral deposits, sits on the so-called "Pacific Ring of
Fire", a hotspot for seismic activity due to friction between
tectonic plates and quakes are frequent.
But because the mountainous nation has remote and
sparsely unpopulated areas, large quakes often cause very
little damage, Collins said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre