Quake jolts China`s Xinjiang region; 24 injured
Beijing: A powerful 6.6 magnitude quake jolted northwest China`s remote Xinjiang region on Saturday, causing widespread damage to residential buildings and leaving at least 24 people injured.
Strong tremors were felt around 5.07 am local time in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, shaking residents out of their beds and leading to temporary power outages.
The epicentre was found to be in a mountainous area along the border of Hejing and Xinyuan counties, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC).
A large number of residential houses were toppled or damaged in Xinyuan county and hundreds of cattle were killed after their sheds collapsed, a statement from the government of Ili Kazak Autonomous Prefecture, which administers Xinyuan, said.
The quake also triggered landslides and cave-ins on several national and regional highways in Xinjiang, bringing traffic to a halt, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
At least 24 people have been injured in the quake, local authorities said.
The CENC has launched a level-three emergency response following the quake and local authorities have sent work teams and organised rescue efforts in affected areas.
Experts said the quake-hit region, located about 3,500 metres above sea level, was geologically active in history.
Two earthquakes measuring more than 7 on the Richter scale have jolted the region since 1900.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!