Quake off Indonesia causes panic in East Timor
Jakarta: An undersea earthquake has rocked eastern Indonesia, causing panic among residents in neighbouring East Timor. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey says the magnitude-5.7 quake that struck this evening was centered 202 kilometres east of East Timor`s capital, Dili, at a depth of 35 kilometres.
Witnesses in Dili say residents ran out of their houses in panic, with many staying outside in fear of aftershocks.
Indonesia`s Meteorology and Geophysics Agency put the quake`s magnitude at 6.2 with a depth of 10 kilometres.
Indonesia and East Timor are prone to seismic upheaval due to their location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam
- West Indies vs India 2016: Trinidad board launches probe after farcical washout