Quake off Indonesia causes panic in East Timor
Jakarta: An undersea earthquake has rocked eastern Indonesia, causing panic among residents in neighbouring East Timor. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The US Geological Survey says the magnitude-5.7 quake that struck this evening was centered 202 kilometres east of East Timor`s capital, Dili, at a depth of 35 kilometres.
Witnesses in Dili say residents ran out of their houses in panic, with many staying outside in fear of aftershocks.
Indonesia`s Meteorology and Geophysics Agency put the quake`s magnitude at 6.2 with a depth of 10 kilometres.
Indonesia and East Timor are prone to seismic upheaval due to their location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH