Quakes hit southern Mexico, no reported injuries
Acapulco: A pair of moderately strong earthquakes on Sunday shook Acapulco and much of the Guerrero state coast that was recently hard-hit by deadly rain-induced landslides, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The country`s seismic institute issued a preliminary magnitude of 4.96 after the latest Sunday morning temblor, which hit at 10:57 am (11:57 ET) and was centered about 44 kilometres (27 miles) south of the Guerrero state community of Atoyac de Alvarez.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, but the seismic alarm went off in Mexico City and authorities warned people to stay away from elevators and windows.
The temblor followed a 5.21-magnitude earthquake that rocked parts of southern Mexico earlier in the morning.
Mexico`s National Seismology Institute said the first temblor struck at 9:27 am and was centered about 5 kilometres (less than 3 miles) south of Coyuca de Benitez in the southern state of Guerrero.
Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera also reported both quakes on his official Twitter account.
The quakes were centered along the stretch of Guerrero state coast and inland mountains that were hardest hit last month by Tropical Storm Manuel.
The second quake, which was felt in Mexico City, had its epicenter near the most significant population center closest to the hamlet of La Pintada, where dozens died when a massive mudslide hit the center of town on Sept. 16.
Constantino Gonzalez Vargas, the state secretary of civil protection, said authorities were trying to get information about 117 communities in rural Guerrero where inspections had found that the passage of Tropical Storm Manuel last month left surrounding slopes at high risk of landslides. Many of the communities remain without reliable communication or road links to the rest of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand