Quakes hit southern Mexico, no reported injuries
Acapulco: A pair of moderately strong earthquakes on Sunday shook Acapulco and much of the Guerrero state coast that was recently hard-hit by deadly rain-induced landslides, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The country`s seismic institute issued a preliminary magnitude of 4.96 after the latest Sunday morning temblor, which hit at 10:57 am (11:57 ET) and was centered about 44 kilometres (27 miles) south of the Guerrero state community of Atoyac de Alvarez.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, but the seismic alarm went off in Mexico City and authorities warned people to stay away from elevators and windows.
The temblor followed a 5.21-magnitude earthquake that rocked parts of southern Mexico earlier in the morning.
Mexico`s National Seismology Institute said the first temblor struck at 9:27 am and was centered about 5 kilometres (less than 3 miles) south of Coyuca de Benitez in the southern state of Guerrero.
Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera also reported both quakes on his official Twitter account.
The quakes were centered along the stretch of Guerrero state coast and inland mountains that were hardest hit last month by Tropical Storm Manuel.
The second quake, which was felt in Mexico City, had its epicenter near the most significant population center closest to the hamlet of La Pintada, where dozens died when a massive mudslide hit the center of town on Sept. 16.
Constantino Gonzalez Vargas, the state secretary of civil protection, said authorities were trying to get information about 117 communities in rural Guerrero where inspections had found that the passage of Tropical Storm Manuel last month left surrounding slopes at high risk of landslides. Many of the communities remain without reliable communication or road links to the rest of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues