Quartet `concerned` by Israeli settlement move
United Nations: The United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia on Wednesday attacked Israel`s move to build new West Bank housing as a threat to peace efforts.
"The Quartet is greatly concerned by Israel`s recent announcements to advance planning for new housing units in Ariel and east Jerusalem," the four said in a joint statement.
"This comes at a critical juncture with Quartet efforts ongoing to resume negotiations which are the only way to a just and durable solution to the (Israel-Palestinian) conflict," added the statement.
Efforts to bring the Israelis and Palestinians back to direct talks have been deadlocked since September last year, when Israel ended a moratorium on settlement building.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak yesterday gave the green light to build 277 new homes in Ariel, a Jewish settlement inside the occupied West Bank.
More than 2,700 new settler homes have now been approved by Israel in the past two weeks, prompting a furious response from the Palestinian leadership.
Israel is in turn angry at Palestinians planning to seek full United Nations membership at the UN General Assembly in September.
"The Quartet reaffirms that unilateral action by either party cannot prejudge the outcome of negotiations and will not be recognised by the international community," said the statement.
"Jerusalem in particular is one of the core issues that must be resolved through negotiations between the parties, which underscores the urgent need for the parties to resume serious and substantive talks," the international powers added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference