Quartet `concerned` by Israeli settlement move
United Nations: The United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia on Wednesday attacked Israel`s move to build new West Bank housing as a threat to peace efforts.
"The Quartet is greatly concerned by Israel`s recent announcements to advance planning for new housing units in Ariel and east Jerusalem," the four said in a joint statement.
"This comes at a critical juncture with Quartet efforts ongoing to resume negotiations which are the only way to a just and durable solution to the (Israel-Palestinian) conflict," added the statement.
Efforts to bring the Israelis and Palestinians back to direct talks have been deadlocked since September last year, when Israel ended a moratorium on settlement building.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak yesterday gave the green light to build 277 new homes in Ariel, a Jewish settlement inside the occupied West Bank.
More than 2,700 new settler homes have now been approved by Israel in the past two weeks, prompting a furious response from the Palestinian leadership.
Israel is in turn angry at Palestinians planning to seek full United Nations membership at the UN General Assembly in September.
"The Quartet reaffirms that unilateral action by either party cannot prejudge the outcome of negotiations and will not be recognised by the international community," said the statement.
"Jerusalem in particular is one of the core issues that must be resolved through negotiations between the parties, which underscores the urgent need for the parties to resume serious and substantive talks," the international powers added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'