Quartet `concerned` by Israeli settlement move
United Nations: The United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia on Wednesday attacked Israel`s move to build new West Bank housing as a threat to peace efforts.
"The Quartet is greatly concerned by Israel`s recent announcements to advance planning for new housing units in Ariel and east Jerusalem," the four said in a joint statement.
"This comes at a critical juncture with Quartet efforts ongoing to resume negotiations which are the only way to a just and durable solution to the (Israel-Palestinian) conflict," added the statement.
Efforts to bring the Israelis and Palestinians back to direct talks have been deadlocked since September last year, when Israel ended a moratorium on settlement building.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak yesterday gave the green light to build 277 new homes in Ariel, a Jewish settlement inside the occupied West Bank.
More than 2,700 new settler homes have now been approved by Israel in the past two weeks, prompting a furious response from the Palestinian leadership.
Israel is in turn angry at Palestinians planning to seek full United Nations membership at the UN General Assembly in September.
"The Quartet reaffirms that unilateral action by either party cannot prejudge the outcome of negotiations and will not be recognised by the international community," said the statement.
"Jerusalem in particular is one of the core issues that must be resolved through negotiations between the parties, which underscores the urgent need for the parties to resume serious and substantive talks," the international powers added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital