Queen Elizabeth attends UK Cabinet meeting, scripts history
London: Queen Elizabeth II, celebrating the diamond jubilee of her reign, Monday scripted history when she attended a cabinet meeting in 10 Downing Street, becoming the first British monarch since 1781 to do so.
Prime Minister David Cameron greeted the 86-year-old Queen at the door of Number 10, posing for photos before going inside.
She met ministers, who presented her with a gift to mark her Diamond Jubilee after 60 years on the throne.
She sat in the Prime Minister`s usual seat - with Cameron and Foreign Secretary William Hague sat either side.
It is believed to be the first time a monarch has attended peace-time cabinet since George III in 1781. George I ceased to chair cabinet in 1717.
The Queen`s father, King George VI, attended war cabinet during the Second World War, the BBC reported.
Once inside, the Queen was introduced to each of the government`s senior ministers in turn, as they bowed.
She shared jokes with Chancellor George Osborne, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond, and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.
After the Queen and the cabinet had taken their seats, Cameron formally welcomed her to the meeting and outlined the items of business on the agenda.
It began with Chief Whip Sir George Young talking about the change to royal accession rules, to allow a first born girl to become head of state even if she has a younger brother.
There were also updates on the forthcoming parliamentary business and Ken Clarke spoke about prospective justice measures, the BBC reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic
- REVEALED: Harbhajan Singh tells what he told Aussies after which they stopped sledging him
- Facebook bids goodbye to desktop ad exchange
- Brent oil pushes above $50 for first time in nearly seven months