Queen Elizabeth `humbled` by diamond jubilee celebrations
London: Moved by the four-day Diamond Jubilee celebrations of her rule, Queen Elizabeth II on Tuesday said the events had been ‘humbling’ and she would treasure the "countless kindnesses" shown to her throughout the Commonwealth.
In a personal message, Queen Elizabeth II, who completes 60 years of her reign this year, said: "The events that I have attended to mark my Diamond Jubilee have been a humbling experience.
It has touched me deeply to see so many thousands of families, neighbours and friends celebrating together in such a happy atmosphere".
She added: "But Prince Philip and I want to take this opportunity to offer our special thanks and appreciation to all those who have had a hand in organising these Jubilee celebrations".
Several events were held over the extended weekend, attracting a global television audience, particularly for the 1000-strong flotilla on the River Thames on Sunday.
It had been a massive challenge, she said and added: "I hope that memories of all this year`s happy events will brighten our lives for many years to come. I will continue to treasure and draw inspiration from the countless kindnesses shown to me in this country and throughout the Commonwealth. Thank you all."
US President Barack Obama congratulated her for the Diamond Jubilee in a video message.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!