Queen Elizabeth II`s husband hospitalised
London: Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Elizabeth II`s husband, has been admitted to hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said.
He will turn 92 next week.
He was admitted to the London Clinic "following abdominal investigations" and expected to stay in the hospital for up to two weeks, BBC reported on Thursday.
The operation will take place on Friday under general anaesthetic. It is a planned, not an emergency, admittance, it added.
Prince Philip had to pull out of an official engagement earlier this week.
The Palace said in a statement that "further updates will be issued when appropriate".
In the last week, Prince Philip has been having unannounced "abdominal investigations" at the hospital in central London.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson of the Buckingham Palace, the official London residence and principal workplace of the British monarch, described the Duke of Edinburgh as being in good spirits. He stressed it was not an emergency admission.
The decision, the official said, was taken by the duke`s doctors to carry out the exploratory operation after investigations and tests last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof