Queen Elizabeth II`s husband hospitalised
London: Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Elizabeth II`s husband, has been admitted to hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said.
He will turn 92 next week.
He was admitted to the London Clinic "following abdominal investigations" and expected to stay in the hospital for up to two weeks, BBC reported on Thursday.
The operation will take place on Friday under general anaesthetic. It is a planned, not an emergency, admittance, it added.
Prince Philip had to pull out of an official engagement earlier this week.
The Palace said in a statement that "further updates will be issued when appropriate".
In the last week, Prince Philip has been having unannounced "abdominal investigations" at the hospital in central London.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson of the Buckingham Palace, the official London residence and principal workplace of the British monarch, described the Duke of Edinburgh as being in good spirits. He stressed it was not an emergency admission.
The decision, the official said, was taken by the duke`s doctors to carry out the exploratory operation after investigations and tests last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH