Queen Elizabeth to visit 9/11 site
New York: Queen Elizabeth II will visit New York`s Ground Zero next month to pay tribute to the victims of the September 11 terror attacks.
The queen and her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, will visit the US on July 06, after an eight-day tour of Canada beginning on June 28, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.
The queen will lay a wreath at the site, and is expected to meet with relatives of the victims as well as police and fire crews who helped people after the attack, New York Post reported.
During her visit, the British monarch will also address the UN General Assembly for the second time during her reign. Her first speech to the 192-member body was in 1957.
In a statement issued earlier, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the announcement of the queen`s visit and said he was looking forward to receiving her on this "historic occasion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch