Queen Elizabeth to visit 9/11 site
New York: Queen Elizabeth II will visit New York`s Ground Zero next month to pay tribute to the victims of the September 11 terror attacks.
The queen and her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, will visit the US on July 06, after an eight-day tour of Canada beginning on June 28, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.
The queen will lay a wreath at the site, and is expected to meet with relatives of the victims as well as police and fire crews who helped people after the attack, New York Post reported.
During her visit, the British monarch will also address the UN General Assembly for the second time during her reign. Her first speech to the 192-member body was in 1957.
In a statement issued earlier, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the announcement of the queen`s visit and said he was looking forward to receiving her on this "historic occasion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them