Queen Elizabeth to visit 9/11 site
New York: Queen Elizabeth II will visit New York`s Ground Zero next month to pay tribute to the victims of the September 11 terror attacks.
The queen and her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, will visit the US on July 06, after an eight-day tour of Canada beginning on June 28, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said.
The queen will lay a wreath at the site, and is expected to meet with relatives of the victims as well as police and fire crews who helped people after the attack, New York Post reported.
During her visit, the British monarch will also address the UN General Assembly for the second time during her reign. Her first speech to the 192-member body was in 1957.
In a statement issued earlier, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the announcement of the queen`s visit and said he was looking forward to receiving her on this "historic occasion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites