Queen Elizabeth’s reign is 2nd longest
London: In yet another milestone, Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday became the second-longest reigning monarch in 1,000 years of British history.
Elizabeth II, who became queen in 1952, will today overtake George III, who reigned for 59 years, 96 days plus 13 extra leap-year days, totalling 21,644 days.
Queen Elizabeth II’s great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria has had greater longevity on the throne.
If the Queen lives another four years and a bit, she will beat Queen Victoria`s record. Victoria, who became queen in 1837 and died in 1901, reigned for 63 years, seven months.
Among living heads of state in world, only King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, who occupied the country`s throne in 1946, has served for longer.
During her reign, the Queen has attended an estimated 25,500 official engagements in Britain, conferred 400,000 honours and awards and received 3.5 million items of correspondence.
A total of 12 prime ministers have served under her.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray