Queen invites King of Bahrain to her Diamond Jubilee
London: The British Queen has reportedly
invited the King of Bahrain to her Diamond Jubilee lunch at
Windsor Castle, inviting criticism from human rights groups
over his repressive regime.
King of Bahrain Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa is
also believed likely to attend a champagne dinner hosted by
Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace. The event in May would
be an intimate gathering of reining monarchs from around the
world, the British media reports said.
But, UK human rights groups say the Bahrain`s regime has
killed dozens of pro-democracy protesters over the past year.
In fact, they accuse the regime of using brutal force
and torture to crush the protests, which saw over 50 civilians
killed and thousands arrested. Bahrain royal family has direct
control of the police, army and security services.
Moreover, his son, Crown Prince of Bahrain, turned down
an invitation to Prince William`s wedding to Kate Middleton
last year, citing unrest in his country, the reports said.
A Palace source, however, said: "It was the Queen`s
decision to host the lunch and her decision to invite every
world sovereign. It would have been very rude to have left
anyone off the list and the Queen would never want to offend
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks