Queen strips British minister`s jailed ex-wife of honour
London: Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II has removed a government honour awarded to the ex-wife of a former minister after the disgraced pair was jailed for swapping speeding points, officials said Wednesday.
Vicky Pryce and her ex-husband, the former energy minister Chris Huhne were released from prison in May after serving a quarter of their eight month sentences for perverting the course of justice.
Pryce, a Greek-born 60-year-old economist, had in 2009 been made a Companion of the Order of the Bath, one of the highest honours in Britain, for her work as head of the government economic service.
But the government`s forfeiture committee, which looks at whether to strip people of their honours in exceptional circumstances, recommended that the award be taken away from Pryce.
"The Queen has directed that the appointment of Vicky, Mrs Pryce, to be a Member of the Civil Division of the Third Class, or Companion, of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, dated June 13 2009, shall be cancelled and annulled and that her name shall be erased from the Register of the said Order," an official announcement said.
The Order of the Bath has its origin in medieval times -- its name coming from the ritual washing that formed part of the preparations for receiving a knighthood -- but is now mainly awarded to military officers and civil servants.
Britain`s political class was gripped by the spectacular fall of Huhne and Pryce, a tale of adultery, marital breakdown and vengeance played out in the courtroom in lurid detail.
Pryce had taken penalty points on her driving licence in 2003 so that her then husband could avoid a driving ban.
She revealed the points swap in 2011 in a bid to get revenge at Huhne -- who once ran for the leadership of the Liberal Democrats, junior partners in Britain`s coalition government -- after he left her for his publicist.
But the plan backfired and resulted in her being jailed herself after being found guilty in a retrial in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in