Queen ‘to resist’ dropping ‘Empire’ from UK honour system
London: The Queen will resist any attempts to remove the word ‘Empire’ from awards such as the OBE or CBE, sources have revealed.
Sources said that the Queen believes the honours system should remain as it is, with any changes to happen only when Prince Charles becomes King.
“I have been told that her view is: ‘If it really must be changed, can you please wait until I am no longer Monarch?’,” the source said.
According to the Telegraph, a campaign, supported by Labour, is underway to replace the word ‘Empire’ with ‘Excellence’ in the titles of honours because it was a ‘jingoistic relic’ of Britain’s colonial past.
Bernard Jenkin, Tory MP and chairman of the Commons Public Administration Select Committee, which investigated the honours system, said: “If this is the Queen’s view, it is perfectly understandable”.
“An ‘Order’ of the British excellence sounds wet and is the kind of thing that must make her heart sink,” the report quoted Jenkin, as saying.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace has, however, declined to comment, saying that it would not comment on the Queen’s personal views or speculation as to what she might think, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview