Queen`s cousin received cash from Russian oligarch
London: A lawyer for an exiled Russian oligarch has disclosed that his client gave financial assistance to a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II over several years.
Lawyer Mark Hastings said in a statement that Boris Berezovsky is a longstanding friend of the prince and never sought or obtained any benefit from the friendship.
The prince`s spokesman, Simon Astaire, stressed that the payments were "conducted properly" and that all relevant tax was paid.
The statement was issued after The Sunday Times reported that the Russian tycoon sent Prince Michael a total of GBP 320,000 (USD 514,320) through offshore companies from 2002 to 2008.
According to Buckingham Palace, Prince Michael is not in the line of succession to the throne and receives no public money.
Berezovsky, a critic of President Vladimir Putin, has lived in Britain since 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi