Queen`s diamond jubilee celebration kicks off
London: Britain kicked off nationwide celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II`s diamond jubilee on Saturday.
The four-day celebrations commenced with the Queen attending a horse racing at the Epsom Derby Saturday and a nationwide 21-gun salute at 1200 GMT, marking the exact anniversary of the Queen`s coronation, Xinhua reported.
The Queen came to the throne Feb 6, 1952, and her coronation took place June 2, 1953. She celebrated her Silver Jubilee in 1977 and her Golden Jubilee in 2002.
Celebrations would focus on a 1,000-boat river pageant along the Thames in London Sunday, a musical concert near Buckingham Palace Monday, and a procession and church service at St. Paul`s Cathedral and carriage procession Tuesday.
Over a million people in the capital are expected to gather on the Thames river banks to witness the seven-mile, 1,000-boat diamond jubilee flotilla.
Some 4,000 beacons will be lit Monday across the Commonwealth following a huge picnic and star-studded concert at Buckingham Palace. The royal family will then make a balcony appearance at the palace.
People across Britain are granted with a double bank holiday this weekend as part of celebrations.
Many are taking advantage of the double bank holiday by travelling abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj