Queen`s Diamond Jubilee: Kamalesh Sharma hosts lunch
London: Commonwealth secretary-general Kamalesh Sharma on Wednesday hosted a lunch for Queen Elizabeth to celebrate her 60-year reign and presented her a commemorative gift from the heads of Commonwealth countries.
The lunch was attended by more than 70 guests, including heads of government such as the Sultan of Brunei, High Commissioners, heads of Commonwealth organisations and former Commonwealth secretaries-general.
As Sri Lanka president Mahinda Rajapaksa, arrived, he was jeered by Tamil activists protesting against alleged human rights violations in his country.
Other guests included Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key.
The Queen and guests were entertained by the Commonwealth Youth Orchestra and British singer Laura Wright, who performed `Stronger as One`, a song written to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee and focuses on the Commonwealth.
Guests were served brie and avocado terrine, wild sea bass and an apple crumble souffle, all accompanied by South African wines.
The Queen, wearing a silk dress in shades of blue and grey, was presented with a bouquet of flowers by Aduke Badale, 9, the daughter of a member of Commonwealth Secretariat staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step