`Quran-buring` pastor Terry Jones supports anti-Islamic movie
Washington: Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who promised to burn the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11 in 2010, has backed the anti-Muhammad film that sparked riots and led to the killing of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.
The low-budget movie, ‘Innocence of Muslims’ or ‘Muhammad, Prophet of the Muslims’, depicts Muhammad, Islam`s holiest prophet, as a thuggish womanizer, and Muslims as homosexuals, child molesters and madmen.
According to the New York Daily News, Jones defended the film, produced by amateur moviemaker Sam Bacile, and showed a trailer of it, which he dubbed ‘International Judge Mohammed Day’.
In the video, he wore a shirt with the word ‘Infidel’ printed in Arabic on it.
On Wednesday, a source said that a top U.S. military official contacted Jones and urged him to stop supporting the film.
Outrage over the film swept the Middle East and led to the killings of four diplomats in Libya, including U.S. ambassador Stevens.
Protestors chanted “We are all Osama,” and tore down the U.S. flag there and replaced it with a black Islamic one.
"The fact that angry protesters climbed the wall at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo today, ripped down the American flag and tore it apart further indicated the lack of respect that Islam has for any other religion," Jones said in the statement.
"Islam is a religion that is totally incompatible with Western free society," he added.
According to the report, the fanatical firebrand pastor’s history of Muslim bashing dates back to July 2010, when he began promoting Sept. 11, 2010, as "International Burn a Quran Day" on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
He has also written a book ‘Islam is of the Devil,’ and posted signs with the slogan outside his church, the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, the report said.
Jones and his followers claimed that Muslims wanted to impose Sharia law on the United States and said torching the holy book would "bring to awareness to the dangers of Islam and that the Quran is leading people to hell," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened