`Quran-buring` pastor Terry Jones supports anti-Islamic movie
Washington: Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who promised to burn the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11 in 2010, has backed the anti-Muhammad film that sparked riots and led to the killing of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.
The low-budget movie, ‘Innocence of Muslims’ or ‘Muhammad, Prophet of the Muslims’, depicts Muhammad, Islam`s holiest prophet, as a thuggish womanizer, and Muslims as homosexuals, child molesters and madmen.
According to the New York Daily News, Jones defended the film, produced by amateur moviemaker Sam Bacile, and showed a trailer of it, which he dubbed ‘International Judge Mohammed Day’.
In the video, he wore a shirt with the word ‘Infidel’ printed in Arabic on it.
On Wednesday, a source said that a top U.S. military official contacted Jones and urged him to stop supporting the film.
Outrage over the film swept the Middle East and led to the killings of four diplomats in Libya, including U.S. ambassador Stevens.
Protestors chanted “We are all Osama,” and tore down the U.S. flag there and replaced it with a black Islamic one.
"The fact that angry protesters climbed the wall at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo today, ripped down the American flag and tore it apart further indicated the lack of respect that Islam has for any other religion," Jones said in the statement.
"Islam is a religion that is totally incompatible with Western free society," he added.
According to the report, the fanatical firebrand pastor’s history of Muslim bashing dates back to July 2010, when he began promoting Sept. 11, 2010, as "International Burn a Quran Day" on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
He has also written a book ‘Islam is of the Devil,’ and posted signs with the slogan outside his church, the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, the report said.
Jones and his followers claimed that Muslims wanted to impose Sharia law on the United States and said torching the holy book would "bring to awareness to the dangers of Islam and that the Quran is leading people to hell," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists