Quran-burning pastor wants to be US president
Washington: US’ Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones announced his plans to run for the country`s president next year, ABC News reported.
"Jones says he has begun raising funds, but would not disclose how much. He said he`s looking into getting on the ballot and will likely run as an independent," ABC reported.
Jones wanted to burn a copy of the Islamic holy book during the last year`s anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
But he backed down under intense pressure, including interventions from President Barack Obama, who warned that such a stunt would endanger American lives.
However, he supervised the burning of the Islamic holy book at a church in Florida March 20. The move sparked major unrest in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, in which over 100 people were killed, including 10 members of a UN mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections