Quran-burning pastor wants to be US president
Washington: US’ Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones announced his plans to run for the country`s president next year, ABC News reported.
"Jones says he has begun raising funds, but would not disclose how much. He said he`s looking into getting on the ballot and will likely run as an independent," ABC reported.
Jones wanted to burn a copy of the Islamic holy book during the last year`s anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
But he backed down under intense pressure, including interventions from President Barack Obama, who warned that such a stunt would endanger American lives.
However, he supervised the burning of the Islamic holy book at a church in Florida March 20. The move sparked major unrest in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, in which over 100 people were killed, including 10 members of a UN mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok