Quran-burning pastor wants to be US president
Washington: US’ Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones announced his plans to run for the country`s president next year, ABC News reported.
"Jones says he has begun raising funds, but would not disclose how much. He said he`s looking into getting on the ballot and will likely run as an independent," ABC reported.
Jones wanted to burn a copy of the Islamic holy book during the last year`s anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
But he backed down under intense pressure, including interventions from President Barack Obama, who warned that such a stunt would endanger American lives.
However, he supervised the burning of the Islamic holy book at a church in Florida March 20. The move sparked major unrest in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, in which over 100 people were killed, including 10 members of a UN mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media