Radical cleric Abu Hamza loses last extradition appeal
London: A radical cleric described as the face of violent extremism in Britain, today lost his appeal to the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights against his extradition to the US, where is accused of planning a terror camp in Oregon.
Hamza had applied along with four others to reopen their case, but the Starsbourg-based Grand Chamber said "Today the Grand Chamber Panel decided to reject the request", without giving reasons.
There is no legal impediment against their extradition now, official courses said.
"The Home Secretary welcomes today`s decision not to refer the cases of Abu Hamza and four others to the Grand Chamber. This follows the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights on April 10 to allow the extradition of these five terrorism suspects to the US," a Home Office spokesman said.
"We will work to ensure that the individuals are handed over to the US authorities as quickly as possible," he added.
Besides Hamza, the other four are Babar Ahmad, Talha Ahsan, Adel Abdul Bary and Khaled-al-Fawwaz.
In a statement, the Strasbourg court said: "On 10 April 2012 the European Court of Human Rights held, in the case of Babar Ahmad and Others v. The United Kingdom, that there would be no violation of the applicants` rights if extradited to stand trial in the United States".
"On 9/10 July 2012, five of the applicants lodged a request for referral of the case to the Grand Chamber. Today the Grand Chamber Panel decided to reject the request. This means that the Chamber judgement of 10 April 2012 is now final," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi