Radical cleric of great concern to US
Washington: US born radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who of late has been playing a motivating role for the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is of great concern to the United States, the White House said on Friday.
"This man is somebody who has sought over the Internet to spread that sort of hate and perversion, and obviously to do harm in spreading that hate. Obviously, he is somebody of great concern," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily news conference.
Born in New Mexico in 1971, al Awlaki has been accused of being a senior talent recruiter for the al Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula.
He is known to have corresponded with Major Nidal Hasan who went on a shooting rampage in Texas last year. The alleged Nigerian plane bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is also said to have met him in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open
- 2nd Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews leads from front to frustrate England