Radical cleric of great concern to US
Washington: US born radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who of late has been playing a motivating role for the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is of great concern to the United States, the White House said on Friday.
"This man is somebody who has sought over the Internet to spread that sort of hate and perversion, and obviously to do harm in spreading that hate. Obviously, he is somebody of great concern," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily news conference.
Born in New Mexico in 1971, al Awlaki has been accused of being a senior talent recruiter for the al Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula.
He is known to have corresponded with Major Nidal Hasan who went on a shooting rampage in Texas last year. The alleged Nigerian plane bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is also said to have met him in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred