Radical preacher Abu Qatada refused bail in UK
London: Abu Qatada, the radical cleric and terror suspect facing deportation to Jordan, has been denied bail by a court here due to the security challenges he might pose during the forthcoming Olympics.
The cleric will remain in prison until his deportation appeal is heard in October, a judge ruled.
Justice Mitting, at the hearing of Special Immigration Appeals Commission, said: "Allowing Qatada bail during heightened security at the Olympic Games would be "exceptionally problematic".
Qatada, who has been contesting British move to deport him to Jordan, where he is accused of involvement in several bomb attacks, has been in jail for over seven years.
In view of the "very high level" of demand in resources during the Olympics, Justice Mitting was told by the Home Office barrister Robin Tam: "As a matter of logical inference, if Abu Qatada were to abscond, either resources would have to be diverted to finding him or finding him would have to be accorded a lower priority".
Justice Mitting said the case had continued "for an unconscionable period of time" and listed the deportation appeal hearing for October 10. He added that there would be a decision a month later.
According to the Home Office, Qatada continues to pose a real risk to national security. It will continue to resist any bail application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe