Radical UK Muslim group calls off march plan
London: A radical Muslim group, which had announced to take out an anti-war march through a town famous for honouring fallen British soldiers in Afghanistan, has dropped its plan.
Islam4UK`s plan to march with empty coffins through Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, raised protest from various sections of society, including Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who called it "abhorrent and offensive".
The group said the march was aimed at highlighting the plight of Muslims in Afghanistan and said it had done this "successfully".
In a statement, leader Anjem Choudary said the group had engaged with thousands of ordinary people through its website and via blogs, phone calls and emails on the reality of the conflict.
"We at Islam4UK have decided, after consultation with others, including our Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad, that no more could be achieved even if a procession were to take place in Wootton Bassett.”
"And in light of this we would like to announce today that there will no longer be a procession through this market town," it added.
It further said: "This does not mean that we will remain silent on the atrocities being committed in Afghanistan under the guise of fighting for freedom and democracy.”
"And it also does not mean that we will not continue to highlight the true cost of this war against Islam and Muslims called fighting terrorism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself