Radical UK Muslim group calls off march plan
London: A radical Muslim group, which had announced to take out an anti-war march through a town famous for honouring fallen British soldiers in Afghanistan, has dropped its plan.
Islam4UK`s plan to march with empty coffins through Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, raised protest from various sections of society, including Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who called it "abhorrent and offensive".
The group said the march was aimed at highlighting the plight of Muslims in Afghanistan and said it had done this "successfully".
In a statement, leader Anjem Choudary said the group had engaged with thousands of ordinary people through its website and via blogs, phone calls and emails on the reality of the conflict.
"We at Islam4UK have decided, after consultation with others, including our Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad, that no more could be achieved even if a procession were to take place in Wootton Bassett.”
"And in light of this we would like to announce today that there will no longer be a procession through this market town," it added.
It further said: "This does not mean that we will remain silent on the atrocities being committed in Afghanistan under the guise of fighting for freedom and democracy.”
"And it also does not mean that we will not continue to highlight the true cost of this war against Islam and Muslims called fighting terrorism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says