RAF pilot Prince William deployed in Falklands
London: Prince William has joined duty as a
helicopter pilot with the Royal Air Force in Falkland Islands
amidst renewed tensions between Argentina and Britain over the
ownership of the islands that led to a bloody conflict between
the two in 1982.
The 29-year-old, who is second in line to the throne, has
been deployed in Falkland Islands for six-weeks as a search
and rescue pilot. His posting has been officially described as
`routine`, which was scheduled some time ago.
But Argentina has chosen to perceive his arrival on the
islands as another `provocation`.
? Last week, Royal Navy today said it will soon deploy HMS
Dauntless, a sophisticated destroyer warship, to the islands,
which was also seen by Argentina as an act of provocation.
In 1982, fighting during the prime ministership of
Margaret Thatcher led to the deaths of 649 Argentine and 255
Argentina continues to press its claim of sovereignty
over the islands.
April marks the 30th anniversary of the 1982 conflict.
There are reports that British flags have been burned in
Argentina to protest against Prince William`s arrival.
Argentina`s foreign ministry regretted that an heir to
the British throne would arrive wearing "the uniform of a
Prime Minister David Cameron has responded in recent days
that the sovereignty of the islands was not for negotiation.
The House of Commons also last week debated the
possibility to bring a legislation to ensure the islands`
right to remain British.
Cameron said Argentina allegedly had a "colonialist"
attitude to the Falklands, which it calls the Malvinas.
His charge was condemned by Argentina`s Senate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal