RAF pilot Prince William deployed in Falklands
London: Prince William has joined duty as a
helicopter pilot with the Royal Air Force in Falkland Islands
amidst renewed tensions between Argentina and Britain over the
ownership of the islands that led to a bloody conflict between
the two in 1982.
The 29-year-old, who is second in line to the throne, has
been deployed in Falkland Islands for six-weeks as a search
and rescue pilot. His posting has been officially described as
`routine`, which was scheduled some time ago.
But Argentina has chosen to perceive his arrival on the
islands as another `provocation`.
? Last week, Royal Navy today said it will soon deploy HMS
Dauntless, a sophisticated destroyer warship, to the islands,
which was also seen by Argentina as an act of provocation.
In 1982, fighting during the prime ministership of
Margaret Thatcher led to the deaths of 649 Argentine and 255
Argentina continues to press its claim of sovereignty
over the islands.
April marks the 30th anniversary of the 1982 conflict.
There are reports that British flags have been burned in
Argentina to protest against Prince William`s arrival.
Argentina`s foreign ministry regretted that an heir to
the British throne would arrive wearing "the uniform of a
Prime Minister David Cameron has responded in recent days
that the sovereignty of the islands was not for negotiation.
The House of Commons also last week debated the
possibility to bring a legislation to ensure the islands`
right to remain British.
Cameron said Argentina allegedly had a "colonialist"
attitude to the Falklands, which it calls the Malvinas.
His charge was condemned by Argentina`s Senate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues