Rafsanjani accuses Iran rulers of intolerance: Report
Tehran: Powerful cleric and former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani accused Iran`s rulers on Sunday of being intolerant, saying they have closed the door on constructive criticism.
Rafsanjani, one of the main figures in Iran`s opposition movement, also called on protesters opposing the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to express their views "within the framework of law”.
"The situation in the country is such that constructive criticism is not accepted," Rafsanjani told a gathering of students in the northern city of Mashhad, according to ILNA news agency.
He urged the Islamic republic`s various political factions to unite and work within the law in order to "create a climate of freedom which will convince the majority of people and erase ambiguities."
"Those who demonstrate or protest must express themselves through legal means. Leaders must also respect the law," Rafsanjani said on the eve of the annual Students Day when fresh demonstrations are expected against Ahmadinejad.
"There have always been extremist factions and excessive attitudes on both sides... but several problems will be solved if we adopt the path of moderation," said the cleric.
Iran was thrown into one of its worst crises since the Islamic revolution when hundreds of thousands of people poured onto streets of Tehran to oppose Ahmadinejad`s re-election in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler