Raids across Europe against human trafficking
London: At least 26 people were arrested as dozens of coordinated raids were carried out Wednesday across Britain, France and Belgium against a human trafficking network, BBC reported.
UK Border Agency (UKBA) officers raided 35 addresses in England and Scotland, while 40 raids were carried out in France and Belgium.
More than 150 UKBA officers joined the crackdown on gangs trafficking illegal migrants.
Many of the immigrants were reportedly from Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.
"We believe this to be one of the biggest operations of its kind ever undertaken in Britain, involving officers the length and breadth of the country," UKBA`s Chris Foster was quoted as saying.
In Britain, raids took place in London, Hampshire, Peterborough, Birmingham, Coventry, Smethwick, Leamington Spa, Stoke-on-Trent, Manchester, Sheffield, Lancashire and Glasgow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport