Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Incessant rain and a powerful storm have battered southern Brazil, leaving thousands of people homeless, officials said.
In Parana, the most affected state, close to 6,000 residents had to leave their flooded houses and are living in public shelters or at the homes of their relatives, regional civil defence agency said.
Three thousand houses were collapsed in other areas due to floods, mudslide and strong winds.
In Pato Branco town, 205 mm of rain was recorded in the last 24 hours, which is double the average rainfall during the season.
In Santa Catarina state, 2,406 people had to evacuate their homes, while five municipalities declared a state of emergency, local administration said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani