Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Incessant rain and a powerful storm have battered southern Brazil, leaving thousands of people homeless, officials said.
In Parana, the most affected state, close to 6,000 residents had to leave their flooded houses and are living in public shelters or at the homes of their relatives, regional civil defence agency said.
Three thousand houses were collapsed in other areas due to floods, mudslide and strong winds.
In Pato Branco town, 205 mm of rain was recorded in the last 24 hours, which is double the average rainfall during the season.
In Santa Catarina state, 2,406 people had to evacuate their homes, while five municipalities declared a state of emergency, local administration said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America