Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Incessant rain and a powerful storm have battered southern Brazil, leaving thousands of people homeless, officials said.
In Parana, the most affected state, close to 6,000 residents had to leave their flooded houses and are living in public shelters or at the homes of their relatives, regional civil defence agency said.
Three thousand houses were collapsed in other areas due to floods, mudslide and strong winds.
In Pato Branco town, 205 mm of rain was recorded in the last 24 hours, which is double the average rainfall during the season.
In Santa Catarina state, 2,406 people had to evacuate their homes, while five municipalities declared a state of emergency, local administration said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow