Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Incessant rain and a powerful storm have battered southern Brazil, leaving thousands of people homeless, officials said.
In Parana, the most affected state, close to 6,000 residents had to leave their flooded houses and are living in public shelters or at the homes of their relatives, regional civil defence agency said.
Three thousand houses were collapsed in other areas due to floods, mudslide and strong winds.
In Pato Branco town, 205 mm of rain was recorded in the last 24 hours, which is double the average rainfall during the season.
In Santa Catarina state, 2,406 people had to evacuate their homes, while five municipalities declared a state of emergency, local administration said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!
- Child swept away in water, parts of Malda face flood fury
- A Flying Jatt movie review: Tiger Shroff as a desi superhero is adorable enough to emerge as children's favourite
- REVEALED: At her witty best, Smriti Irani shares why she worked at McDonald's