Rains wreck havoc in China, 46 killed, 50 missing
Beijing: At least 46 people died and 50 were reported missing following heavy rains in China`s southern regions which continued for the past five days, affecting millions of local residents.
Flash floods and landslides caused by the heavy rains have brought about casualties and economic loss in 74 county-level cities in six southern provincial-level regions, including Fujian, Guangdong, Hunan, Jiangxi, Guangxi and Sichuan, the China`s Civil Affairs Ministry said here today.
More than 2.56 million people have been affected and about 238,000 were evacuated from their homes, it said, adding that more than 33,000 homes were collapsed or damaged.
The rains and ensuing floods and landslides had caused direct economic losses of USD 398 million with about 126,700 hectares of crops affected, of which 14,500 hectares had been destroyed, a news agency reported.’
The ministry and the Chinese National Committee for Disaster Reduction Tuesday initiated a level-IV emergency response plan, dispatching work teams to guide the relief work in the three worst-hit regions - Fujian, Guangxi and Sichuan.
The National Meteorological Center issued a rainstorm alert on Wednesday as more rain is expected to hit southern China over coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections