Rainstorms affect 1.97 lakh people in China
Beijing: Severe rainstorms have battered east China`s Jiangxi Province, affecting about 1.97 lakh people, displacing over 6,000 residents and destroying crops, officials said.
The heavy rain, which started on Tuesday, has affected 26 counties in Jiangxi, the provincial flood prevention and drought control headquarters said.
Local governments have relocated 6,019 residents to avoid potential risks, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The downpours have also damaged or destroyed 202 houses and ruined 16,710 hectares of crops, as well as causing high water levels of rivers and lakes, and several landslides.
Flood prevention authorities in Jiangxi warned of floods on Thursday due to the rising rivers and lakes.
The headquarters also ordered several reservoirs in the province to release water as levels had gone over or were approaching alarm lines because of the heavy rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday