Rainstorms affect 1.97 lakh people in China
Beijing: Severe rainstorms have battered east China`s Jiangxi Province, affecting about 1.97 lakh people, displacing over 6,000 residents and destroying crops, officials said.
The heavy rain, which started on Tuesday, has affected 26 counties in Jiangxi, the provincial flood prevention and drought control headquarters said.
Local governments have relocated 6,019 residents to avoid potential risks, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The downpours have also damaged or destroyed 202 houses and ruined 16,710 hectares of crops, as well as causing high water levels of rivers and lakes, and several landslides.
Flood prevention authorities in Jiangxi warned of floods on Thursday due to the rising rivers and lakes.
The headquarters also ordered several reservoirs in the province to release water as levels had gone over or were approaching alarm lines because of the heavy rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights