Rainstorms affect 1.97 lakh people in China
Beijing: Severe rainstorms have battered east China`s Jiangxi Province, affecting about 1.97 lakh people, displacing over 6,000 residents and destroying crops, officials said.
The heavy rain, which started on Tuesday, has affected 26 counties in Jiangxi, the provincial flood prevention and drought control headquarters said.
Local governments have relocated 6,019 residents to avoid potential risks, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The downpours have also damaged or destroyed 202 houses and ruined 16,710 hectares of crops, as well as causing high water levels of rivers and lakes, and several landslides.
Flood prevention authorities in Jiangxi warned of floods on Thursday due to the rising rivers and lakes.
The headquarters also ordered several reservoirs in the province to release water as levels had gone over or were approaching alarm lines because of the heavy rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march