Raj Shah could be first Indian-American Cabinet minister
Washington: USAID`s Indian-American head Raj Shah, who has established himself as one of the most successful administrators of the agency, is being seen as a strong contender for a Cabinet position as President Barack Obama prepares for his second term and forms a new team.
Given his strong credentials as a successful USAID administrator and his unflinching loyalty to Obama, administrative and political sources told a news agency that Raj could well be poised for one of the Cabinet positions in particular that of Secretary of Health and Human Services; Secretary of Agriculture and Secretary of Education.
Further Shah, 39, would not face any difficulties in any Senate confirmation given his strong credentials and support across both sides of the aisle.
Shah, who in the last three ands half years has established himself as one of the most successful administrators of United States Agency for International Development (USAID) -- the agency that provides economic, development and humanitarian assistance around the world.
The White House for now has refused to entertain any question on new appointment or possibility of it.
"I have no personnel announcements to make of any kind," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Friday when he was asked several times on various new Cabinet appointments including that of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.
Before being appointed as USAID head - the highest ranking Indian American in any presidential administration - in January 2010, Shah worked in a range of leadership riles at the Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation.
He was also the health care policy advisor on the Al Gore presidential campaign in 2000.
Obama had in fact first appointed him as the Under Secretary of Agriculture for Research, Education and Economics and Chief Scientist on April 17, 2009.
His nomination was confirmed by unanimous consent in May 2009.
Shah, who was born to Hindu parents who settled in Michigan, has received global acclaim for the work done by USAID in several natural calamities since then including Haiti earthquake and flood in Pakistan both in 2010.
At a time when the US Government is facing budgetary strain in view of a severe economic crisis, USIAD under his leadership has come up with innovative ideas and mechanism to increase America?s aid effectiveness.
Under his leadership, USAID has partnered with India for joint poverty alleviation programs in third world countries Africa in particular.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it